“Good alternative provision is that which appropriately meets the needs of pupils which required its use and enables them to achieve good educational attainment on par with their mainstream peers.” Department for Education (DfE), (2013) Alternative Provision, Statutory guidance for Local
Authorities, p. 10
All providers who are commissioned by Kingsmead School, will have termly QA appointments, ongoing checks and support, to ensure we inspire them to meet the standards required for Good or Outstanding Alternative Provision.
The Kingsmead School has commissioned a variety of Alternative Provision from a range of providers contained in this directory. This provision is available to buy for individual students and all referrals should be made to the alternative provision manager in the first instance.
The Alternative Provision, Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities, January 2013 www.gov.uk/government/publications/alternative-provision and subsequent Ofsted reports on Alternative Provision including; Alternative Provision, The findings from Ofsted’s three-year survey of schools’ use of off-site alternative provision, Feb 2016 www.gov.uk/government/publications/alternative-school-provision-findings-of-a-three-year-survey have informed our processes and procedures. We can therefore assure you that we are offering the best service to you as a school and that relevant data in line with current accountability frameworks will be provided.
What we require from you before the placement:
- A complete, up to date Secondary Placement Panel referral form with all relevant and comprehensive information/data included and with a named school contact given*
- Consent and understanding from the parents/carers as to reasons for the AP placement
- Any up to date supporting documents/information on the student not included in the referral form i.e. EHCP, Risk Assessment, Safeguarding/EHA plans
- Email confirmation of costs/details of placement
- Email confirmation highlighting 3 SMART targets for the student, appropriate to them accessing an AP placement. “Specific personal, social and academic needs of the pupils are properly identified and met in order to help them to overcome any barriers to attainment” Department for Education (DfE), (2013) Alternative Provision, Statutory Guidance for Local Authorities, p. 10
What we require from you during a placement:
- A main point of contact for all communications regarding the placement/s requested – where more than one student is referred, this should be the same person
- To remain responsible for all transport to and from the provision unless this is specifically included in the placement requested
- Continue to offer core education provision for students unless the referral is specifically for this reason
- Communication in advance around known absences – these include: exams, exclusions, school trips, illness or any other reason for absence known to the school
- Update of risk assessments and communication around any new risks that may have happened in or out of school but not with the alternative provider
With all this is in place we will support you and your student by:
- Allocating a mentor for your school and student to oversee all placements
- Arrange as necessary a meeting/home visit with school staff/student/parent/carer student to hand over any important information and discuss the specifics of the placement
- Weekly feedback forms sent electronically to track progress/attendance
- Termly reviews and reports of the student’s progress, update on attendance, academic achievements and any predicted outcomes
- Regular liaison with school/parents/carers to support successful continuation of placement
- Attendance and reporting where appropriate at any multi-agency meeting
- Agreement to speak to/provide any data for Ofsted should this be requested for the AP placement
* If at any stage a referral is deemed inappropriate, or The Kingsmead School are unable to meet the needs of the student, a
discussion will take place with the referring school and the application process would cease.
Refer to timetable for further details of available placements